Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: My project

  1. #11
    Inactive Member Stovebolt6's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 26th, 2003
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thank you for the kind words. I am very happy with them. I still have some tweaking to do. There seams to be a slight drop off in the mid bass. I'm looking for a better test disk than I have now. Something with more than just sine waves. This is all minor stuff though. I plan on living with them for now.

    Overall I couldn't be happier. They have an attack and clarity that I have not experienced in my home before. They far exceeded my expectations and I know once I get the minor stuff sorted out they will be unmatched.

    I loaded up the changer with disks I liked and every time I heard a good song I turned it up a little more. Before I knew it, I looked in the other room and saw my wife. She was shaking her finger and I could see her lips moving but had no idea what she was saying!! These things are so clean at very high volumes that I had know idea how loud the music had gotten. Their reproduction of the music is effortless. I have been listening for a few weeks a sane volume levels and I'm still impressed with thier presence.

    Thank you to all who have knowingly or unwittingly helped me with this project. It is by far the largest undertaking I have attempted and the results have been nothing short of amazing.

    Any suggestions on a test disk? Still not sure if the mid bass is a null due to a room reflection or a speaker tweak that needs to be made. I will post the response curve as soon as it is in excell. Thanks again for the help!

  2. #12
    Inactive Member goodshiplolliepop's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2002
    Posts
    7
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I found that I had a tendency to let the volume edge up too. Now I keep a Radioshack sound level meter with a copy of OSHA standards for maximum sound exposure in the room with my Altecs to protect my hearing. I get an objective rather than a subjective measure of what is too loud and how long I can listen at a particular level. Now that I have a fairly accurate measure of sound pressures and standards to adhere to, my wife and daughter seem less worried (less complaining) that I am hurting my hearing. I enjoy listening too much to risk the loss of my hearing.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member WV's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 10th, 2002
    Posts
    39
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello J Daniel,

    you are still talking out of my heart. Switching on the Altec's, I always enjoy the music. Every new record the volume raises a little bit. But I never have a problem. The music seems to me like a sound wall, turning up the volume, the wall grows up, too, without driving me mad. I love that feeling!

    My patient wife, really cautious about loud music (in former days, with Klipsch etc., she often said: "please turn down, it's too loud"), told me yesterday: "They sound really great!". I was happy.

    Not at least: good work, you did a great job. What is about the bass in the corner? Is it keeping as dry as it should be?

    Best regards
    Wolf

  4. #14
    Inactive Member Stovebolt6's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 26th, 2003
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Wolf,

    They should stay dry. I have a piece of glass cut the shape of the top so if the plants leak the cabinets will not get wet. The bass is 3db down at 38hz. This is lower than I expected. I don't know if this is because they are in the corners but I am happy with the results. I think the crossover needs tweaking, I may go with an active crossover in the future if I can't figure out this passive one.

    What equipment are you running? What type of music do you listen to?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.